Image Map

Saturday, March 2, 2013

March already? Currently, money, and a freebie!

My friends ... I know you're just as shocked as I am that it's MARCH already! Seriously, weren't we just decking out our classrooms in hearts, candy, and cupids for Valentines day?! But.. I'll take it! March means SPRING is around the corner! It also means, time to link up with Farley at Oh Boy Fourth Grade for another adorable Currently!

 
 
Well, my class has been knee deep in money throughout all of February... If only it weren't plastic money! We've been working *so* hard on this whole money thing!  My kids have been counting coins like crazy and becoming serious money problem solvers.  P.S. Money word problems are HARD!  I have enjoyed teaching money because you can get really hands on with it. My kids loved using the coin manipulatives to explore the concepts we learned.  Here's some fun stuff we've been doing!
 
We started our unit by exploring a coin a day - Penny through Half Dollar! They learned the little poem/song that goes with each coin to help them remember the attributes and they got to do some detailed exploration of each of the coins using manipulatives!
 
 
At the end of the week, we made this flapbook to review what we learned and to have as a study tool for the rest of our unit!  They wrote the value of each coin, colored in the Heads and Tails , told whether or not the coin had ridges, and finally practiced counting them!
 
Once we had a good grasp on recognizing coins and their values, we were ready to start counting coins in a set!  My kids *LOVED* this game!! They roll the dice and land on a coin.  They then have to NAME the coin and COLLECT it!  At the end of the game, they have to count up their coins and the person with the largest value is the winner.  Seriously big hit in our room!
 
 
And then today, we practiced (Hands-on, might I add!) using the least amount of coins to make an amount!  I wrote an amount up on the Promethean Board, and the kids have to sift through a huge pile of coins and bills to make that amount using the smallest number of coins possible!  It was a good way for me to see who gets it and who needs a little more help before next week's test! 
 
 
 
Wish you could see that little guy's face! He is so adorable! 
If you would like to use any of the activities above in your classroom -- Click the picture below to check out the pack in my TPT store!  It's got lots of other goodies that I didn't get a picture of (Word Problems, Matching Games, Sorting Mats, Craftivities, and More!)
 
 
 
OKAY, whew! Last but not least, I wanted to let you guys know that I finished up my March Math Journals (I blog about math journals... uhh... all time time! I still haven't gotten tired of them!) These are ready to be copied, cut, and glued into notebooks! :) We are starting ours next week!! Click the Picture below to check them out.
 
 
  Here's a freebie from these journals all ready for you to use with your kiddos! :)
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Any "Kelly" is a friend of mine . . . hehehehehe :) oh, and don't get out of bed. I am sure you earned yourself some extra "me" time during last week's chaos!

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that money flip book! I agree with Kelley...stay in bed!

    Halle
    Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should just stay in bed! You deserve it after a month of teaching money story problems (regular story problems are hard enough!).

    Stephany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, Thank you for commenting on our blog. We teach in Indiana too! I love spring and can not wait!! I also use that poem, Penny, Penny... You need to check out yesterday's ISTEP pep session post, since you teach in Indiana. Your colleagues might get a kick out of it. :) http://primarypossibilities.blogspot.com/2013/03/five-for-friday.html We are also panning on posting ISTEP related posts all week. For example, primary teachers each "adopted" an intermediate classroom, we had an ISTEP pep session, and we are "treating" our intermediate kids all week with goodies and treats. Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Sam!
    Loved seeing your money activities! AND, I'm with Kelley! Stay in bed! Happy Saturday to you!
    Laura
    Peace, Love, and First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great flip book!
    I sooo wanted to stay in bed but, daughter's basketball game!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, stay in bed!! :) It's a lovely indulgence every once in a while!!

    Amy
    Happy Teacher Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for your awesome math freebie! I can't wait to use it with my class:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sam,
    I love your money flip book - so super cute! Sad for your straightener. We couldn't survive in this house without one...especially my 13 year old daughter.. LOL
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete