Saturday, August 3, 2024

Student Skills and Calming Strategies


I think we can all agree that the hardest part of teaching kindergarten isn't the academic piece, am I right? While there is SO much to learn in that regard, it is not the part of teaching that poses us the greatest challenge. I'm not trying to speak for everyone, but I THINK I CAN SPEAK FOR EVERYONE when I say that one of the most difficult parts of this role is teaching kids to be STUDENTS. That's a packed word isn't it? When we're facing a class of 20 kids who don't know how to student, we realize just how big this job is! 



I took some time this summer and really thought about what I want my kids to know and internalize when it comes to those social skills and I put together this set called Being a Student. I'm certain it will grow over time as we uncover more skills that are needed, but this is a good start! Now, I'm not disillusioned into thinking there's a ton of time in the day to teach these very necessary student skills. Let's be real. There's never enough time. SO, in putting together this resource, I tried to create every part to only take 5-10 minutes. Some parts can just be sprinkled throughout the week as you have a quick moment. 

Here's what's included:
1. A social story with discussion questions. 
2. A simple parent letter for that home-connection piece. 
3. A mentor text list for additional support. 
4. A response sheet with a drawing only option and a drawing/writing option. 
5. A list of scenario prompts for discussion. 
6. A poster to reference throughout the year. 






I also created a digital version of the social story and scenarios for anyone that teaches off slides like me! 

What skills do we address?
*School has Rules
*Following Directions
*I Can Do Hard Things
*Paying Attention
*I'm Part of a Team
*It's Not All About Me
*I Can Stay Calm
*Big Deal/Small Deal
*Mistakes Are Okay!
*I Am a Problem Solver

If you have any suggestions for additional skills, please leave them in a comment! I'd love for this resource to grow. Click here to take a closer look or grab it for your own classroom!


One of the biggest issues my modern-day kindergartners face right now is that they lack the skills of self-regulation. So many of my kids go from 0-60 so quickly and then struggle to bring themselves back to a calm headspace in order to continue on with their day. Be sure to grab this FREE set of self-regulation and mindful breathing cards for your kiddos! I teach each one explicitly to the whole class, we practice together, and then I put the cards on a binder ring in our calm down spot! I have also made copies of specific ones for specific students to keep on/in their desk to use as needed. 



I also have a larger set of Mindful Breathing strategies! If you teach with slides like me, then these Mindful Breathing breaks are PERFECT for putting in your slides at the points of your day that kids are getting a little escalated. I use them right before special class and right after recess! They come as poster size and card size as well if you're not into the slides. 



Don't have a calm down spot? I got you covered! This has been a MUST have for my kindergarten classroom. Find a cozy corner and get started!  



Wishing you a calm and happy school year - with students who are less like feral cats and more like functioning humans! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment